About the Dark Sky Observatory
The Battlesteads Dark Sky Observatory, is an accessible, public astronomical observatory offering talks, activities, stargazing and Astro courses to suit anyone from the absolute beginner to the professional. The observatory is staffed by a team of professional astronomers from AstroVentures.
Located in Wark, on the edge of the Kielder Water & Forest Park, under the very dark skies of the Northumberland International Dark Sky Park. The observatory offers the perfect compromise between the beautiful majesty of dark skies and the facilities offered by a 21st Century Countryside Village location:
- Luxury Astro Accommodation just metres away.
- Superb meals and snacks available, specialising in sustainable, locally sourced food.
- Free hot drinks and water available in the observatory Warm Room.
- Full mains electricity and wifi internet for all your Astro Equipment and Devices (laptops, tablets, smartphones).
- The road is open whatever the weather – even in midwinter snow, and we have plumbing!
Battlestars Dark Sky Observatory is a Milky Way Class Dark Sky Discovery Site located on the edge of the Northumberland Dark Sky Park.
Dark Sky Stay and Gaze
Battlestars Dark Sky Observatory has been awarded Dark Sky Stay and Gaze status by Northumberland Tourism.